Monday, July 16, 2007

First blush

La Machine!Yep, that's my little guy. I had every intention of beginning the sewing on Friday night. I did not have time to go to the fabric store after work, so really just had to make due with what I had at home. So, napkins! I was ready. I had already cut them all to size on Thursday afternoon, and all I had to do was press all the seams and start sewing; how hard could that be?


Whatever. It took me an hour and twenty minutes to finish pressing all the seams. Fold in 1/2-inch, press, repeat on remaining three sides of napkin. Now fold seam in another 1/2-inch and press again. Repeat on remaining three sides of napkin. Repeat folding and pressing on all remaining five napkins.

By the time I finished pressing all the napkins I had pricked myself three times with pins, burned my right pinky finger on the iron, and my cup of Acai Mango Zinger tea was ice cold. I turned off the iron, walked back upstairs, had a dish of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia Frozen Yogurt, brused my teeth, and went to bed.

I was then planning on starting on the actual sewing portion of the project on Saturday. But, OMG, it was nice out on Saturday. So instead I worked on THE GARDEN PROJECT with Abu. On Friday he had gone and picked up a bunch of shrubs to plant. He got some nice Cedar's and put those near the road so they eventually give us more privacy:

cedarThen, he put a bunch of stuff in the backyard:


The beginningFrom front to back: stewartia, three boxwoods, a clethora, a white hydrangea, a verigated bush of some sort, and a weeping crabapple! He knows his plants. More will eventually be filled in, but this is a good start.

My little annual garden on the side of the driveway is finally filling in:
annual bed closeupSedum, snapdragons, hollyhocks. The planter in the back has basil in it, and I've cut it off in this photo but there is a "container tomato" plant at the very front of the bed. Next year, I'll work on making the bed longer (up to 25 feet) and start filling in more perennials.

Okay, so tonight I try to sew. It's amazingly easy to get distracted on a beautiful summer weekend.

No comments: